Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Whirlwind......

1st off, let me say...so sorry between updates. It has been a rather interesting few weeks in Casa de Vman.........

I completed 12 cycles of Folfox with Avastin mixed in for 8 cycles. My fingers and feet have finally succumbed to one of the bad side effects of one of the drugs...they are numb just about all day. It can be difficult to stand, walk, pick up items, even type... This can be permanent...I hope and pray that it will pass...

Most of you hooligans know I have played softball most of my life. I started sometime ,around 12 or 13, something like that. I have had my heyday, being part of a team that finished 6th in the world in Orlando in 1998, many HR's, game winning plays, etc.

My doctors after surgery told me I would not be able to play for 18-24 months and I was mortified. Something such a large part of my life taken away.

On May 6th I actually played in my 1st game in nearly a year. Considering my current treatment last Friday....and my condition, this was nothing short of a miracle. My 1st at bat, 1st live pitch I saw in over a year I ripped a hard single back up the middle. I know it is hard to say, I nearly shed a tear on the way to 1st, it was that moving.

On May 20th, I had my 1st post chemo PET scan. For those that dont know what a PET is...well it is a CT using radio active sugar that is absorbed by cancerous cells/tumors.

Vman takes a deep breath....

My liver is showing a new spot and no growth or shrinkage in the current ones. In both lungs....a have numerous sports that "lit" up on the PET. So it is confirmed...I have cancer in not only my liver but also both lungs.

This is not the news Brenda and I were looking for after 8 months of chemo. I started a new set of drugs Friday May 30th for another 6 months. The bright side...this is not the WORST news either......

The new chemo is BRUTAL. I threw up over 20 times in 2 days. My throat tissue was burnt from the acid I kept spitting up. I could hardly eat and lost 12 pounds in 48 hours. Plus the treatment in LONG. I was in the Cancer Center from 9:45am to 5:00pm.

But, there are MANY positives from this scan. The cancer has not spread past my lungs. Yes I know we are facing many more months of chemo plus a few more surgeries.

Right now I am doing more than surviving...I am thriving. Cancer SURVIVORS in the treatment plan I am on do not play softball, they do not ride at a brisk pace up in the mountains and none that I know of ride at a race pace at a track day.

God is so REAL to me. People say that I am amazing, strong, an inspiration...yes maybe I am all those but my strength comes from ABOVE. I know without God, I would already be dead. HE has blessed me with another 8 months on this Earth.

There are times I feel like "is this chemo really worth the pain?" or "do I really need to continue?" I have so much to be thankful for......I am not ready to throw in the towel and quit. I just am tightening up the laces on my gloves, stepping back in the ring and I will continue to FIGHT this terrible disease.

People have asked, "do you need anything?" The answer is a LOUD yes. Brenda and I covet your prayers. We both know that I am in the battle for my life, my very right to exist. I cannot express what all the calls, PM's, posts from my FAMILY here mean to us. It just helps to know you are not in this FIGHT alone......

Believe,

Kevin

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Varner, you have always been a positive influence on me. But now, you have truly become an inspiration to me! I know, I know, ALL GLORY TO THE ONE GOD, OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST! But I just cannot express to you the hope that you give to me by your life! It is a hope beyond this frail skin and bones, beyond anything this world could offer! Thank you, thank you for proclaiming CHRIST and Him crucified, dead and buried, and risen again! That is the true Hope of Life! We miss you guys and pray for you daily! We love you! Bryan, Jo-Anne, Gracie and Abigail (newest addition as of February 28, 2008)!

My Grandkids Eema said...

Kevin, your faith is tremendous and will carry you through. My prayers will continue for you and Brenda. Just reading your blogs inspire me in such a wonderful way. You are an inspiration to many,many people I am sure. I emailed your mom when I hadn't seen your blog in so long.
Keep the faith. I pray for complete healing for you and for peace.
I love you and your family.

Michele said...

Oh, Kevin, my heart is breaking for you both. We are all praying. I have never met anyone with such a strong faith. We still all talk about what an incredible experience it was to meet you both. We love you and Brenda. Thanks for sharing this difficult time with us and please keep blogging, we all go crazy when we don't hear from you.
Love,
Michele;

Kasey said...

Kevin,
Ever since I came to your home and met you and Brenda I can't stop thinking about you. I pray for you every day and wonder how you're doing. I'm so sorry to hear that it wasn't good news. Just believe.
We're all praying for you!
Love,
Kasey

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
While reading your post I can't help but say tears constantly stream down and my heart goes out to you. I'm really sorry to hear your bad news. You have the strength of a warrior! We don't understand why things happen like they do. I'll never understand. We never realize how precious our lives are until they get changed. We have had roller coaster battles to come through our lives only to make us stronger. I can't emphasize what an inspiration you have become to me and to others. Me and my family and friends and churches continue to pray for you and Brenda. God may be closing some doors unannounced but that gives him the opportunity to open others that are better! With your faith God will carry you a long way! Jake will be coming into town July 4th weekend I'm sure he would love to see you guys if your well enough. Good luck with future therapy. If there's anything that we can do for you guys please let us know.
Keep in touch!! <3
Kelly Baldwin